history of the parish really began with the concern of one woman:
Alice Bartolo. Bartolo was a spokesperson for all the Italian families
looking for a place of worship.
sensitive to the children who were in need of spiritual guidance,
Bartolo approached Father Toni Ostan, who had administered to the
spiritual needs of the Inuit of Northern Canada, to celebrate the
Eucharist in Italian.
first mass was held on the first Sunday of November 1978 in the gymnasium
of St. Victor’s School for a small but happy group of Italian
families. From the enthusiastic response to the trial masses, the
service continued at various locations as a branch of Holy Cross Parish.
the community grew, so did involvement in the parish. Through the
efforts of the parish council, Father Ostan’s pet project, Accademia
Giovanile, was established. The after-school program was created
to assist parents with the social, cultural and religious aspects
of their children’s education. Also, Italia Nova, a
bimonthly newsletter for the community was initiated.
diocesan decrees helped to forward the progress of the community and
the church. The first in May of 1980 recognized the need for two Italian
language parishes in Ottawa. (The first Italian-language parish being
that of St. Anthony’s.)
The second decree in April 1984 officially granted Madonna della Risurrezione
the status of “parish.”
1985 the parish acquired the property at 1621 Fisher Avenue, which
was used as a canonical residence until construction began. The building,
which opened its doors officially on September 23, 1990, was designed
by local Italian architect Filippo Piazza who created the front of
the church to represent an abstract of the Madonna with a veil flowing
down from her extended arms.